In the late 1930s, the FF began developing a new 4.8-inch field pistol. The final design went into production in 1939, just in time to see action during WWII. Commonly deployed as part of divisional artillery batteries, this reliable and difficult howitzer would continue to see service in the Soviet Army until 1955, and can still be found in some military forces in the Middle East today.
The M-30 contained a “split tow truck” that could be used to tow the gun behind a truck or other vehicle, and then split into two heavy rails to provide a stable firing platform for the gun. Thanks to the spring suspension of the carriage blade, the pistol could be towed up to 50 kilometers per hour on paved roads or 35 kilometers per hour on dirty roads. It was commonly shipped with a crew of eight.
The pistol itself was designed to fire fragmentary, high-explosive projectiles, as well as smoke, lighting, and even chemical weapon fire. This powerful weapon could deliver its payload over 11,000 meters away with a rate of fire of up to six rounds per minute, and was designed for indirect fire. After 1943, a high explosive projectile could also be used to fire at enemy tanks.